What is coaching?
International Coaching Federation:
"Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximise their personal and professional potential."
To me coaching is a way of supporting someone to achieve their goals, using different tools that will lead to self-discovery. It increases the strategies and personal power in order to make clear steps towards the set goals.
Who is coaching for?
Coaching is for people who are willing to make changes in their life to better themselves, break negative patterns and achieve new things.
Life coaching is about moving forward and achieving goals. It is about looking at the past for wisdom but it is not about the past, like other therapies.
You do not have to be unhappy about the present to need a life coach but you need to realise that you want more from life and yourself and that you will commit to work to get there.
How I work?
1. I will try to find your learning style.
2. I will need to know details about yourself: main life events, your aspirations and problems.
3. I will try to find your expectations from me and decide together if life coaching is the best for you.
4. If you agree to go forward then I will share with you the coaching ethics and do a working agreement.
5. The first session/s will be on self-discovery: looking at your values, needs and aspirations in different areas of your life.
6. Point 5 will lead into deciding on a main goal (thing to achieve could be: life work balance, career progression, clear long term life plan, increase confidence, starting own business, losing weight, etc).
7. We are going to draw a personal development plan on how to achieve your main goal, while looking at your problem solving skills and ways to improve that. This is the time when most of my clients realise that they have been following a pattern that hasn't helped them and it's time to work on ways of dealing with obstacles, perceived limitations and strengthen confidence and motivation.
8. This is the time (usually by session 3) when people start to feel the change in their thinking and doing small steps towards the goal - here there will be a balance between self discovery, encouraging self commitment and learning to celebrate achievement.
9. The closer you get to the main goal the more able people are to look at other areas in their life they want to work on and we start to look at the long term plan.
What tools do I use?
I use a mixture of tools including SFBT and Strategic intervention, EFT, NLP and I follow the structure of The GROW model - the main model in coaching.
Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions.
Image: Heavens gate' by Miss Rehana Qader. To purchase a print on canvas/cards and view other artworks please contact Cornelia for prices.